Montessori Day School Extended Day is the Montessori approach for kindergarten-age children. During this year, students continue working within the extensive Montessori curriculum in core subject areas of: Language, math, science and geography. All works in all subject areas are available from the first day a child joins the ages 3-6 classroom at MDS, and teachers guide children to works they are ready to try. These works are designed to provide a foundation that enables each child to gain strength and proficiency as they complete their individual academic progression.
Extended Day students are introduced to the expectation that they will complete a reading, math, and spelling work each morning and mark off these works on a chart in the classroom. Science and geography works are a choice during the afternoon work session as well as reading, math, and spelling.
As eldest members of their classroom community, opportunities for leadership and resulting confidence are a hallmark of the Extended Day students’ year.
- Short vowels
- 2 Syllable Words
- Digraphs: ch, wh, th, sh
- Sight Words
- Letter Formation
- Story Writing
- Reading Comprehension
- Chapter Books
- Synonyms, Antonyms, Homonyms
- 100 Board Patterns: Backward, odd/even, 100 in middle, down
- Short Chains: Squaring numbers
- Long Chains: Cubing numbers
- Number Rolls: Number writing
- Addition into Thousands: Static and dynamic
- Number Composition into Thousands
- Number Fetching into Thousands
- Clock: Telling time
More in depth study of:
- North America
- South America
- United States of America
- Five Classifications of Animals
- Nomenclature Booklets
- Simple Science Experiments
- Daily lunch
- Assigned Individual Tasks During Daily Playground Clean-up
- Field Trips
- Music Programs
- Physical Education
Please email email@example.com to schedule a school visit. An interview of a prospective student can be scheduled once MDS has received an application.